Cuervos

El invierno es de las sombras, la luz tamizada bajo la seda blanca de las nubes. El ciclo del día, breve; un guiño del párpado celeste. La vida quiere que nos cobijemos, nos arrastra al interior, por fuera se eriza retraída por el frío temible, hostil.

Al vernos en el final del año ¿nos preguntamos si hemos aspirado de cada uno de los días toda la dulzura, si hemos propiciado bastantes momentos dignos de nuestro cuaderno de memorias? Bueno, tal vez nunca sean suficientes.

Las ráfagas heladas y la ronquera de una bandada de cuervos nos meten en los oídos los estertores de otro año. No importa qué frutas maduras se hayan recogido, un año más joven aguarda ansioso al otro lado del umbral, colmado de posibilidades que no sabremos prever.


Crows

Winter is bleak, the sunlight dimmed by thick milky clouds. Periods of daylight are brief, a blink of the celestial eyelid. Life huddles together, pulling inward, curling around itself, shrunken by a frightful, loveless cold.

When we find ourselves at year’s end, do we ask ourselves, have we sucked each day of all its sweetness, have we found enough moments worthy of our personal scrapbooks? Well, perhaps, we can never find enough such moments.

The cold winter winds and the hoarseness of the gathering crows, however, bring within earshot the death rattle of another year. But, no matter what ripe fruits have already been plucked, another, younger, eager year waits beyond the threshold, brimming with possibilities that we cannot foresee.


Pink postcards 11


[31 December 1914]
Name of the sender: Károly Timó
Address of the sender: Nagy-Sztropkó

Address: To the honored Miss Antónia Zajác
3rd district, Kis-Korona Street 52
Budapest




Previous letters (gray dots):

Budapest, 23 December 1914
Budapest, 21 December 1914
Budapest, 11 December 1914
Budapest, 2 December 1914
Budapest, 28 November 1914
Budapest, 27 November 1914
Budapest, 18 November 1914
Budapest, 27 October 1914
Debrecen, 25 September 1914
Szerencs, 28 August 1914
My dear son,
I am writing this letter in the Carpathians, by the light of a campfire. I send my wishes of luck, so that the new year be more pleasant than the past one. I am here in a village next to the frontier. The music for the New Year’s Eve dinner is provided by gunfire. It is not cold, we are just swimming in mud, which is a big problem, and very exhausting. I also wish a happy new year to your mother, sisters, and all the people in the workshop, including the old man.
Embraces and kisses you your loving Károly
Write immediately, when there is a field post number.


[The machine starts again.

“I am here in a village next to the frontier. The music for the New Year’s Eve dinner is provided by gunfire. It is not cold, we are just swimming in mud…”

What can you add to this?

“Sztropkó (Stropkov), a town in the district of the same name in Zemplén county, with 2585 Slovak, German and Hungarian inhabitants (1910). Its former castle stood from the 14th century to 1675; now only a part of its eastern side stands. The church, developed from the former castle chapel, has several remarkable works of art: old (14th c.) iron candle holders, chasubles (16th c.) The lords of the castle were the Keglevics, Perényi, Sztáray, Vécsey, and finally the Gersei Pethő families. In 1760 the young Prince Lubomirski of Poland was accompanied to the castle of Munkács through Sztropkó. The town suffered a lot during the Russian incursion of 1914-1915. Cf. Ede Unghváry, Adatok Sz. mezőváros és várának történetéhez [Data to the story of Sztropkó town and its castle] (Adalékok Zemplén vm. történetéhez 1897. 1–4.) (T. Cs.-Szl.)” • Révai nagy lexikona [Révai’s Great Encyclopaedia], XVII, 757]



Traces of the ravages by the Russian incursion in Sáros and Zemplén counties, in the settlements around Sztropkó. Photos of the report by Kornél Divald, sent out in May 1915 to assess the damages. Published by the Klub Vojenskej Histórie Beskydy. The report also mentions among the destroyed monuments, at number 68, the medieval church of Sztropkó.

At the end of the year of 2014, which passes in the sign of the field post, this post is supposed to be the last one, so we wish all readers a Happy New Year!

Next postcard: 4 January 1915

Coordinates


The Spanish Society of Emblematics has announced its Tenth International Congress, which we will organize in Palma de Mallorca, exactly a year from now. After thinking a lot about the title, distilling it almost to the point of the esoteric, we have opted for one which is something self-evident for this kind of meeting: Encrucijada de la Palabra y la Imagen Simbólicas, “On the crossroads of symbolic words and images”. In a way, this is the basic definition of the emblem. But this crossroads also highlights the peculiar focus of our analysis of cultural history as a whole.


Then we had to design the poster of the event. The fact that this is the tenth congress allowed us to link the Roman X with the very concept of crossroads heralded in the title. Digging into our memory, we recalled the magnificent manuscript Mira Calligraphiae Monumenta, in which the master calligrapher of the Hungarian chancellery in Vienna, Georg/György Bocskay, designed a complex work page by page, displaying all his skills in the art of drawing letters. He finished it in 1562, but then his notebook fell into the hands of Rudolf II of Prague, who, admiring the Bocskay’s precision, decided to make it into a truly unique work, worthy of his imperial collections.


For this purpose, he instructed the best manuscript illuminator he could find, Joris Hoefnagel, to decorate it with the best of his arts, and to spare no effort. Hoefnagel not only amply executed his task, but he also complemented it with a typographic game, whose elements, whether copied, or invented on the basis of natural elements, joined with mathematical rigor the tracery and composition of the letters. Here is the “X” we wanted: the devise of Emperor Augustus, the crab clutching in its pincers a butterfly – an image usually accompanied with the Latin motto Matura –, converted in a graphic sign. Crossroads of word and image, but also a sign that we have come – maturando – to the tenth congress of the Society. Already twenty years – X-X – always having the motto in sight.


Coordenadas


La Sociedad Española de Emblemática ha convocado su X Congreso Internacional, que organizaremos en Palma dentro de un año redondo. Después de darle muchas vueltas al título, cosa que iba alambicándolo hasta hacerlo casi esotérico, hemos optado por uno que quizá sea algo obvio para este tipo de encuentros: Encrucijada de la Palabra y la Imagen Simbólicas. En cierto modo, esto define básicamente al emblema. Pero esta encrucijada también marca el peculiar núcleo desde donde nosotros analizamos la historia cultural en su conjunto.


Luego tuvimos que idear el cartel. El hecho de que sea ya el X Congreso, nos permitía enlazar la «X» de la numeración romana con el concepto mismo de encrucijada que presenta el título. Rebuscando en la memoria se nos apareció el magnífico manuscrito Mira Calligraphiae Monumenta donde el maestro calígrafo Georg Bocskay diseñó página tras página una obra compleja en la que exhibía todas sus dotes en el arte de dibujar las letras. Lo dejó acabado en 1562 pero luego el cuaderno cayó en manos de Rodolfo II, en Praga, quien, admirado de la precisión de Bocskay, decidió convertirlo en una obra verdaderamente única y digna de sus colecciones.


Para ello, encargó al mejor iluminador de manuscritos que pudo encontrar, Joris Hoefnagel, que lo decorara a su gusto y sin ahorrar esfuerzos. Hoefnagel no solo cumpliría sobradamente el encargo sino que añadió de su mano todo un juego tipográfico donde las ilustraciones copiadas o fantaseadas a partir de elementos naturales se unían al rigor matemático de la tracería y la composición de las letras. Ahí está la «X» que queríamos: la divisa del emperador Augusto, el cangrejo que atrapa entre sus pinzas a una mariposa —imagen habitualmente unida al mote latino Matura— se metamorfosea en signo gráfico. Encrucijada de palabra e imagen, sí, pero también indicio de haber llegado —madurando— hasta el décimo congreso de la Sociedad. Veinte años ya —X-X— sin faltar a la cita.


La Casa Manili del barrio judío

Roma Imperial. G. Droysens Allgemeiner Historischer Handatlas, 1886. La zona roja central es
la ciudad amurallada de la antigua Roma, elevada sobre siete colinas, con el Forum Romanum
y el Coliseo en un collado. Entre el muro occidental y el Tíber vemoslos edificios
esparcidosde los grandes teatros e hipódromos imperiales.

El casco antiguo de Roma, hoy acomodado en la pronunciada curva del Tíber, fue durante el período imperial una zona de esparcimiento fuera de las murallas de la ciudad. Asentada sobre su siete colinas, Roma mantuvo durante siglos una prudente distancia de aquella ribera baja, pantanosa, enclave de inundaciones y malaria. Como su propio nombre indica, Campo de Marte, servía principalmente para ejercicios militares. Tan sólo al final de la era republicana se lo consideró lugar donde los nuevos dictadores y emperadores podían acrecentar su popularidad erigiendo un magnífico teatro, un hipódromo, unos baños públicos o un templo.

Término sur del Campo de Marte, con sus edificios públicos monumentales fuera de las viejas murallas, visto desde el este en la maqueta de Italo Gismondi (1935-1971). Arriba, a la izquierda de la Isola Tiberina, el teatro de Marcelo; la gran plaza a su costado es el Circo Flaminio. La via publica que corre a su izquierda, en el centro de la imagen, está flanqueada por el pórtico de Octavia (con sus dos templos), el pórtico de Filipo y el templo de Neptuno, y se cierra con el gran teatro de Pompeyo. Este distrito, poco más o menos, se convertiría en el gueto de Roma, y la antigua gran vía pública iba a ser la calle principal del gueto, hoy Via del Portico d'Ottavia.

Tras la caída de Roma y el derrumbe de los acueductos, el centro de gravedad de la ciudad se desplazó hacia el río, y el ritmo urbano de columnas monumentales y arcadas se fue tapiando y saturando de pequeñas viviendas, covachuelas y talleres de artesanos retrepados a los muros como nidos de golondrina. El pórtico de Octavia se transformó en la gran pescadería de Roma, el de Filipo en la casa de la familia Fabi, y el teatro Marcelo en el palacio fortificado de los Orsini. Y en el terreno del teatro de Pompeyo, desde la alta Edad Media funcionaba la Calcarara, los hornos de cal donde los mármoles y las estatuas de los antiguos palacios eran transmutados en un material mucho más práctico.

El mismo barrio, más o menos la zona del gueto, en el mapa delineado por Giambattista Nolli en 1748. Cerca del centro de este fragmento se ve el largo rectángulo edificado sobre el Circo Flaminio; hacia el este, el antiguo pórtico de Octavia, por esas fechas mercado del pescado (1023), y el teatro de Marcelo, ahora fortaleza Orsini (1022). Por encima corre la antigua via publica, ahora calle de la pescadería (Strada di Pescaria, 1024), que acaba en la Piazza Giudea (1025). Con el punto rojo, la Casa Manili, erigida sobre el templo de Neptuno.

Uno de los nidos de golondrina. La tienda de quesos encajada bajo la arcada del Teatro de Marcelo, 1886

La mayoría de aquellos nidos de golondrina fueron eliminados por el fascismo en su empeño por limpiar los monumentos de la Roma conquistadora de los sedimentos acumulados durante dos mil años. La iniciativa, como muestra la expresión que le dedicaron los locales —sventramento di Roma, destripamiento de Roma—, creó una zona de monumentos antiguos estéril, muerta, en el centro de la ciudad, en el área de Coliseo–Foro. Con todo, los lugares aledaños a este espacio aún atestiguan la simbiosis de los monumentos clasicos con los medievales, como la Casa Manili al principio de la antigua Calle de la Pescadería, hoy Via del Portico d'Ottavia, marcada en rojo en el mapa de más arriba.




Con su enorme y fragmentada cornisa antigua y su epígrafe, los fragmentos de relieves antiguos y un enorme abanico de pátinas y colores sobre sus piedras, este edificio también aparenta haber sido plantado en medio de los restos del templo de Neptuno que estuvo antes aquí. Pero basta con leer la inscripción que corre a todo lo largo de la fachada para ver que se trata de algo completamente distinto:

URBE ROMA IN PRISTINAM FORMA(M R)ENASCENTE LAUR. MANLIUS KARITATE ERGA PATRI(AM) (A)EDIS SUO NOMINE MANLIANAS PRO FORT(UN)AR(UM) MEDIOCRITATE AD FOR(UM) IUDEOR(UM) SIBI POSTERISQ(UE) SUIS A FUND(AMENTIS) P(OSUIT). AB URB(E) CON(DITA) M.M.CCXXI L AN(NO) M(ENSE) III D(IE) II P(OSUIT) XI CAL(ENDAS) AUG(USTAS)

«En el momento en que la ciudad de Roma renació con su antigua forma, Laurentius Manlius, por amor a su patria, construyó desde los cimientos esta casa en el foro de los judios, para sí mismo y para sus descendientes, dentro de los límites permitidos por su mediana riqueza, y lo llamó Manliana, derivado de su nombre, 2.221 años después de la fundación de Roma, a la edad de 50 años, 3 meses y 2 días, a los once días anteriores al inicio de agosto.»


Esta casa, por tanto, fue concebida intencionadamente como una antigua ruina. O más bien, como un antiguo palacio, tal como «Laurentius Manlius» los imaginaba observando el patchwork arquitectónico que se veía por el barrio. Todo ello ofrece una prueba del revivir de la antigua Roma en 1468, en los albores del Renacimiento, cuando Leon Battista Alberti escribe su libro sobre arquitectura inspirado en las ruinas romanas, y el rey Matías construye en Buda el primer palacio renacentista al norte de los Alpes. La inscripción en sí, cincelada en la más elegante tipografía clásica antigua –tan perfecta que incluso en el siglo XIX algún anticuario que no la tradujo la consideró auténtica– es el primer ejemplo de la resurrección de las inscripciones públicas monumentales de la antigüedad. Este edificio, construido en estilo «clásico» por un simple ciudadano romano –el farmacéutico Lorenzo Manei que latinizó su nombre como Manilio en un intento de emparentarse con la antigua Gens Manilia– testifica de manera más elocuente que cualquier gran obra de arte la fuerza y el impacto del Renacimiento emergente.

Una inscripción clásica saludando el renacimiento de Roma en las cornisas de las ventanas de la Casa Manili: (H)AVE ROMA!

Merece la pena observar los fragmentos antiguos encastrados en los muros. El león que caza un antílope, como símbolo de la muerte, era un motivo frecuente en los viejos sarcófagos. Una pieza similar se puede ver en la parte norte de la ciudad vieja, en Via dell'Orso, sobre la que pronto vamos a escribir más.


Fragmentos de sarcófagos con leones atrapando un antílope y un jabalí en las esquinas de via dell’Orso 87.



La inscripción de 1468 está enmarcada por dos fragmentos de tumbas antiguas. Una idea algo siniestra para el hombre moderno: ¿quién de nosotros decoraría la fachada de su casa con lápidas de un viejo cementerio? Pero la lápida superior da una lección aún más escabrosa sobre la antropología de la antigua Roma. Según su texto, fue trabajada por el tallador de marfil Publius Clodius Bromius, esclavo liberado de Aulius y su concubina Curiatia Ammia, para la tumba de Hilarium, su delicia. Uno podría pensar que Hilarium era una hija pequeña, pero no es así. Como Natalie-Christiane Zidek señala en su Delicati et deliciae. Versuch einer Begriffsbestimmung (2012), los delicati y deliciae que a menudo aparecen en lápidas romanas eran niños y niñas esclavos para el placer de sus amos, bien como meras mascotas humanas, sustitutos de los hijos, o como objetos sexuales. Se trababan fuertes lazos emocionales con ellos, y se lloraba su muerte tan amargamente como Lesbia, la amante de Catulo, llloraba la de su gorrión. Entre los esclavos y libertos eran estos los únicos que recibían una lápida con nombre. La lápida con la familia debajo, con el muchacho sosteniendo un pequeño animal doméstico, actúa como si ilustrara esta relación.




Bajo la cornisa, el Bar Totò fue un centro de la vida social del barrio durante décadas. Veníamos aquí a menudo a mitad de la década de los 90. Aunque no han cambiado el letrero, ahora un restaurante más fino ha tomado su lugar bajo el nombre de «Ristorante Il Portico», apuntando al pórtico de Octavia, en el otro extremo de la calle, como punto de referencia fácil de encontrar –también escribiremos pronto sobre él–. La farmacia de al lado, sin embargo, ha estado cerrada durante muchos años. Las placas de zinc u hojalata llevan largas décadas oxidándose junto a la puerta, y los signos fantasma bajo las caídas letras de madera o cerámica, abren una vía de penetración en las capas de historia del edificio.




Bar Totò en los 60. Tomado del grupo de Roma Sparita (vale la pena leer los nostálgicos recuerdos de su página)

La inscripción menciona que la casa fue construida en la esquina del Forum Iudeorum, la plaza judía. Sin embargo, hubo aquí dos plazas judías. Esta era la frontera norte del gueto (la línea de puntos que corre sobre la manzana marcada con la N de ANGE(LI), que luego gira a la izquierda siguiendo el vicolo de' Cenci, marcado con el número 752), y una de las cinco puertas del gueto que se abren entre las dos plazas marcadas con los números 1025 y 1026, «piazza Giudea fuori del Ghetto» y «piazza Giudea dentro del Ghetto».


El gueto se abrió en 1862. Sus residentes se instalaron en las calles adyacentes inaugurando tiendas, negocios, restaurantes. De aquel momento son las primeras fotos de la Casa Manili, que muestran la zona como un barrio completamente judío.

1910. En el lugar del futuro almacén encontramos el Fornaro (horno) di Piazza (Giudea). En el umbral, el propietario, Attilio Piperno con su hermana y Romeo, su hermano menor.

Principios de 1900. Carro de mulas para turistas. Ala izquierda la vista principal del barrio: el primer ciclista, Alberto Fornari, con su bicicleta marca «Durkop».

1936. Foto de grupo de los residentes judíos de la calle. En la esquina, el horno y repostería judía Boccione, frente al cual aún hoy los romanos, tanto judíos como no judíos y stranieri, hacen cola. Así hicimos nosotros hace poco.

La Casa Manili en el cambio de siglo. El horno de la esquina se ve claramente.


En la última foto, nuestra perspectiva gira ligeramente a la derecha. En el lado izquierdo sólo vemos la esquina de la Casa Manili. Al fondo, unos bloques más allá, el mercado de pescado ocupando el pórtico de Octavia, del que pronto vamos a escribir. Estamos en 1910 y la demolición del antiguo gueto ha comenzado. El bloque de pisos medieval ya ha desaparecido del centro de la foto, pero la escuela pública de secundaria aún no se ha construido: ahora, por primera y última vez, lo vemos tan espacioso como en la Roma imperial, cuando el Circo Flaminio se extendía justo en el perímetro de esta plaza. Y aquí vemos, también por última vez, la fuente renacentista de la piazza Giudea fuori del Ghetto, señalada en el mapa Nolli delante de la Casa Manili. Saber qué fue de esta fuente, quién la erigió aquí y por qué, cómo desapareció, y dónde se la puede ver hoy en día, nos obligaría a reventar esta entrada por todas las costuras. Empezamos a escribir sobre una sola casa, y acabamos teniendo que atravesar los dos mil años de Roma. Volveremos pronto a esta esquina. ¡Seguidnos!

Manili House in the Jewish Square

Imperial Rome. G. Droysens Allgemeiner Historischer Handatlas, 1886. The central red block
is the walled town of ancient Rome, built on seven hills, with the Forum Romanum and
Colosseum in the valley. Between the western city wall and the Tiber there are
the scattered blocks of great imperial theaters and hippodromes.

The old town of today’s Rome, lying on the big bend of the Tiber, was during the imperial period a party district outside the city walls. The city, built on seven hills, for centuries kept a distance from the flat riverside field, threatened by floods and malaria. As its name, Campus Martius, indicates, it was mainly used as a military training field. Only at the end of the republican era did it become a place for the dictators and emperors to erect a magnificent theater, hippodrome, public bath or temple to increase their popularity.

The southern part of the Campus Martius, with the monumental public buildings outside the city walls, seen from the east, in Italo Gismondi’s model of Rome (1935-1971). Above, to the left of Tiber Island, is the theatre of Marcellus, and the large square in front of it is the Circus Flaminius. The via publica, public road running to the left of it, in the middle of the picture, is flanked by the portico of Octavia (with its two temples), the portico of Philippus, and the temple of Neptune, and it is closed by the great theater of Pompey. This quarter became, more or less, the ghetto of Rome, and the former public street became the main street of the ghetto, today’s via del Portico d’Ottavia.

Following the decline of Rome and the collapse of the aqueducts, the city’s center of gravity shifted to the river, and the intervals of monumental columns and arcades were walled up by the artisans and small merchants into the swallow’s nests of their tiny dwellings and workshops. The portico of Octavia became the Roman fish market, that of Philippus the house of the Fabi family, and the theater of Marcellus the fort palace of the Orsini. And in the territory of the theater of Pompey, throughout the Middle Ages, there operated the Calcarara, the lime-kiln, where the marble building materials and statues of the ancient palaces were transformed into a much more useful building material.

The same neighborhood, more or less the area of the ghetto, in Giambattista Nolli’s 1748 map. About the middle of this detail is the built-in long rectangle of the former Circus Flaminius, to the east the former portico of Octavia, now a fish market (1023), and the theatre of Marcellus, now the Orsini Fortress (1022). Above, the former via publica, now Fish Market Street (Strada di Pescaria, 1024), ending in the Jewish Square (Piazza Giudea, 1025). Marked with a red dot, the Manili House, standing in the place of the temple of Neptune.

One of the swallow’s nests. The cheese-making workshop nested under the arcade of the theater of Marcellus, 1886

Most of the swallow’s nests were eliminated by Fascism in its attempt to clean the monuments of world-conquering Rome from the sediments of two thousand years. The action, as its local designation – “sventramento di Roma”, the disembowelment of Rome – shows, created a sterile and dead zone of ancient monuments in the middle of the city, in the Colosseum – Forum Romanum area. But the secluded places of this quarter still preserve several witnesses to the symbiosis of ancient and medieval monuments, such as the Manili House at the beginning of the former Fish market Street, today’s via del Portico d’Ottavia, marked in red on the above map.




With its huge, fragmented ancient ledge and epigraph, fragments of antique reliefs, and a wide variety of patinae of its stones and colors, this building also looks as if it had been built in between the remains of the temple of Neptune that once stood here. But it is enough to read the inscription running along the entire length of the facade to see that this is something entirely different:

URBE ROMA IN PRISTINAM FORMA(M R)ENASCENTE LAUR. MANLIUS KARITATE ERGA PATRI(AM) (A)EDIS SUO NOMINE MANLIANAS PRO FORT(UN)AR(UM) MEDIOCRITATE AD FOR(UM) IUDEOR(UM) SIBI POSTERISQ(UE) SUIS A FUND(AMENTIS) P(OSUIT). AB URB(E) CON(DITA) M.M.CCXXI L AN(NO) M(ENSE) III D(IE) II P(OSUIT) XI CAL(ENDAS) AUG(USTAS)

“At the time, when the city of Rome was reborn in its ancient form, Laurentius Manlius, for love of his homeland, built up from its foundations this house in the forum of the Jews for himself and for his descendants, within the limits alowed by his mediocre wealth, and called it Manliana after his name, 2221 years after the founding of Rome, at the age of 50 years, 3 months and 2 days, on the eleventh day before the beginning of August.”


This house was thus intentionally built as an ancient ruin. Or rather as an ancient palace, as “Laurentius Manlius” imagined it on the basis of the patchwork buildings to be seen in the neighborhood. All this is a sign of the rebirth of ancient Rome, in 1468, at the dawn of the Renaissance, when Leon Battista Alberti writes his book On Architecture, inspired by the ruins of Rome, and King Matthias builds in Buda the first Renaissance palace north of the Alps. The inscription itself, written in the most elegant classical antiqua typeface – so perfectly, that even in the late 19th century, many antiquarians considered it authentically ancient – is the earliest example of the resurrection of the monumental public inscriptions of the antiquity. This building, built in the “Classical” style by a simple Roman citizen – pharmacist Lorenzo Manei, who Latinized his name as Manlius in an attempt to identify himself with the ancient Gens Manilia – testifies more eloquently than any major work of art to the strength and impact of the emerging Renaissance.

A Classical inscription greeting Rome reborn in the window ledge of the Manili house: (H)AVE ROMA!

It is worthwhile to look at the ancient fragments walled into the patchwork. The lion catching an antelope, as a symbol of death, was a frequent motif of ancient sarcophagi. A similar sarcophagus fragment can be seen in the northern part of the old city, in Bear Street – via dell’Orso –, about which we will soon write more.


Sarcophagus fragments with lions catching antelope and wild boar on the two corners of via dell’Orso 87.



The inscription of 1468 is surrounded by two ancient tomb fragments. A morbid idea for the modern man: who among us would decorate the facade of his or her house with tombstones brought from an old cemetery? But the top gravestone gives an even more morbid lesson about the anthropology of ancient Rome. According to its text, it was erected by the ivory carver Publius Clodius Bromius, a freed slave of Aulus, and his concubine, Curiatia Ammia, on the tomb of Hilarium, their delicia, delight. One would think that Hilarium was their little daughter, but no. As Natalie-Christiane Zidek points out in her Delicati et deliciae. Versuch einer Begriffsbestimmung (2012), the delicati and deliciae, often mentioned in Roman tombstones, were little slave boys and girls kept by their masters for their own delight, either as human pets, child-substitutes, or sexual objects. They had strong emotional ties to them, and bemoaned their death just as sadly, as Catullus’ lover Lesbia that of her sparrow. Among the slaves and freedmen they were the only ones to receive a named headstone. The family gravestone underneath, with the boy holding a small pet, is as if to illustrate this relationship.




Under the ledge, Bar Totò was a center of the neighborhood’s social life for several decades. I also often came here in the middle of the 1990s. Although the sign did not change, an elegant restaurant has now taken its place under the name of “Ristorante Il Portico”, which refers to the portico of Octavia at the other end of the street as an easy-to-find reference point – we will write about it soon. The drugstore next to it, however, has been closed for many years. The decades-old tin plates next to its door, as well as the ghost signs under its fallen wooden or ceramic letters, offer a glimpse of insight into the layers of the building’s history.




Bar Totò in the 1960s. From the Roma Sparita group (it is worthwhile to read the nostalgic remembrances in the group’s FB page)

The inscription mentions that the house was built on the corner of the Forum Iudeorum, the Jewish Square. However, there were two Jewish Squares here. This was the northern border of the ghetto (the dotted line running over the block marked with the N of ANGE(LI), which then turns down to the left along vicolo de’ Cenci marked with number 752), and one of the ghetto’s five gates that open between the two squares marked with 1025 and 1026, “piazza Giudea fuori del Ghetto” and “piazza Giudea dentro del Ghetto”, the Jewish Square outside and insite the ghetto, respectively.


The ghetto was opened in 1862. Its residents settled in the surrounding streets, opening shops, businesses, restaurants. From this time come the first photos of the Manili House, which represent the area as a fully Jewish neighborhood.

1910. In the place of the future drugstore, we find the Fornaro (Bakery) di Piazza [Giudea]. Standing in the door, the owner, Attilio Piperno, with his sister and younger brother Romeo.

Early 1900s. Donkey-drawn tourist bus. On the left side, the main sight of the quarter: the first cyclist, Alberto Fornari, with his “Durkop” brand British bicycle.

1936. A group photo of the Jewish residents of the street. On the corner, the Jewish bakery and confectionery shop Boccione, in front of which, still today, Romans, both Jewish and non-Jewish, and stranieri, stand in line. Just as I did, only three weeks ago.

The Manili House at the turn of the century. The bakery on the corner is clearly visible.


In the last photo, our perspective turns slightly to the right. On the left side we just see the corner of the Manili House. In the background, a few blcks away, the fish market established in the portico of Octavia, about which we will soon write more. It is 1910, and the demolition of the old ghetto has begun. The medieval block of flats has already disappeared from the middle of the photo, but the public high school has not yet been built: now for the first and last time we see it as spacious, as in imperial Rome, when the Circus Flaminius opened in this square. And here we see, for the last time, a Renaissance fountain in the Jewish Square Outside-of-the-Ghetto, which was also marked in the Nolli map in front of the Manili House. As to what was this fountain, who erected it here and why, where it disappeared to, and where you can see it today, it would force this post to burst at the seams. We started to write about only one house, and somehow it has sucked in the two thousand years of Rome. So we will have to dedicate a new post to it. Follow us.