Wisława Szymborska: Possibilities

Four-legged animals from Bartholomaeus Anglicus’ “Le Livre des Proprietés des Choses”, translated by Jean Cordichon, 14th c. Reims, Bibl. Municipale Ms. 993 fol. 254v.
Possibilities

I prefer movie.
I prefer cats.
I prefer the oaks along the Warta.
I prefer Dickens to Dostoevsky.
I prefer myself loving people
to myself loving mankind.
I prefer having a needle and thread at hand.
I prefer the color green.
I prefer not to blame reason for everything.
I prefer exceptions.
I prefer leaving early.
I prefer talking to doctors
about the illness of others.
I prefer old hatched drawings.
I prefer the absurdity of writing poems
to the absurdity of not writing.
I prefer in love
not round anniversaries
so every day would be a feast.
I prefer the moralists
who promise me nothing.
I prefer foresightful goodness to blindness.
I prefer the earth in civvies.
I prefer the countries conquered
to those conquering.
I prefer to have reserves.
I prefer the hell of chaos to the hell of order.
I prefer the Grimm fairy tales
to the first pages of the newspapers.
I prefer leaves without flowers
to flowers without leaves.
I prefer dogs with uncropped tails.
I prefer light eyes, since mine are dark.
I prefer drawers.
I prefer many things not mentioned here
to many other things not mentioned here.
I prefer the zeroes on the loose
to those lined up behind a number.
I prefer the time of the insects
to the time of the stars.
I prefer to knock on wood.

I prefer not to ask how long and when.
I prefer to consider even the possibility
that life has its reason.
.....Możliwości

Wolę kino.
Wolę koty.
Wolę dęby nad Wartą.
Wolę Dickensa od Dostojewskiego.
Wolę siebie lubiącą ludzi
niż siebie kochającą ludzkość.
Wolę mieć w pogotowiu igłę z nitką.
Wolę kolor zielony.
Wolę nie twierdzić,
że rozum jest wszystkiemu winien.
Wolę wyjątki.
Wolę wychodzić wcześniej.
Wolę rozmawiać z lekarzami
o czymś innym.
Wolę stare ilustracje w prążki.
Wolę śmieszność pisania wierszy
od śmieszności ich niepisania.
Wolę w miłości rocznice nieokrągłe,
do obchodzenia na co dzień.
Wolę moralistów,
którzy nie obiecują mi nic.
Wolę dobroć przebiegłą
od łatwowiernej za bardzo.
Wolę ziemię w cywilu.
Wolę kraje podbite niż podbijające.
Wolę mieć zastrzeżenia.
Wolę piekło chaosu od piekła porządku.
Wolę bajki Grimm
od pierwszych stron gazet.
Wolę liście bez kwiatów
niż kwiaty bez liści.
Wolę psy z ogonem nie przyciętym.
Wolę oczy jasne, ponieważ mam ciemne.
Wolę szuflady.
Wolę wiele rzeczy, których tu nie wymieniłam,
od wielu również tu nie wymienionych.
Wolę zera luzem
niż ustawione w kolejce do cyfry.
Wolę czas owadzi od gwiezdnego.
Wolę odpukać.
Wolę nie pytać jak długo jeszcze i kiedy.
Wolę brać pod uwagę nawet tę możliwość,
że byt ma swoją rację.

In English it is not so difficult to give an exact translation of this poem. But in my native Hungarian it is. Precisely the word whose rhythmic repetitions as vertebrae constitute the backbone of the poem does not exist in Hungarian. Woleć, “to prefer” – we can render this only with the clumsy structure “jobban szeretem”, “I love it better”: every verse joggles at the beginning, while they are smoothly whirling in Polish. This is a particular word, no other Slavic language has a precise equivalent of it. The Czech is forced to use a periphrasis just like us: mít raději, mít radši, while the Russian uses the clumsy предпочитать. Theirs is not an easy job, either. I am curious how they have translated it in the recent anthology of Umberto Eco – La vertigine della lista, “The infinity of lists” – to which I have made my translation.

Nevertheless, the depth of the poem comes from the fact that it repeats not just lubić or miłować, “to love”, but woleć, “to prefer”. This stresses that all love involves a choice, it means to give up loving something else. Turning to something always includes turning away from many other possibilities. The responsibility of the decision.

No hay comentarios: