Chopin: Concerto No. 2. Op. 21. 3: Allegro vivace. Artur Rubinstein, 1958
In this house – at that time on Szeroka street – already at the middle of the 19th century there was a pharmacy, called Apteka pod Złotą Gwiazdą, “Golden Star”, in the property of the Moravian Piotr Mikolasch. In this pharmacy Ignacy Łukasiewicz and Jan Zeh, of Hungarian origin, invented on 30 March 1853 the kerosene lamp. Their invention is today commemorated by the Kerosene Lamp Café and Museum in the Armenian quarter. (Thanks, Pawel!)
If we estimate well, the destroyed court wing – as its beautifully carved Romantic stone fragments attest it – must have been exactly this pharmacy.